The classification given to a Log Number that is initiated for administrative tracking purposes because the incident requires an immediate notification to COPA even where there is no accompanying allegation of misconduct. This notification to COPA is required for the following incidents:
- When a sworn Department member discharges a firearm (on or off duty) and another person is injured or killed by one or more bullets fired by that member, or when a sworn Department member has suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- When a sworn Department member discharges a firearm (on or off duty) at a person and the person is not injured or killed.
- Unintentional firearm discharge incidents and firearm discharge incidents solely for the destruction or deterrence of an animal.
- Taser discharges.
- Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) and other chemical agent discharges.
- The use of chemical/smoke dispensing or distraction devices.
- An incident involving a motor vehicle accident with fatalities including any death resulting from a motor vehicle accident involving a Department member engaging in law enforcement activity off duty.
- Any other miscellaneous and extraordinary incidents including death in custody, suicide in custody, or an attempted suicide in custody.